27 October 2011

Is it worth it?

I really love some of the trends in American decorating right now.  There seem to be so many fabrics and styles that just aren't available here.  So, I had a little bit of extra cash, and thought I would splash out and start organising a few things for the new house (yep, that's the one, the house that hasn't even commenced construction yet.  Whatever).

This is what I chose...


Gorgeous curtains for the Guest Room 

Bathmat

Veneer Spheres
The prices were all pretty reasonable, and the bathmat was even on sale.  Then, this happened...


The shipping fee...  I have to say, I was thinking maybe $50.  Now I realise that was wishful thinking, given the cost of postage even just within Australia. 

But, is it worth it?  To have items which I love and are not readily available in Australia?  Are the mailing services that you can use any cheaper than this?  Should I suck it up?  Is the solution to just stop reading all the gorgeous American blogs that I pore over?  Heeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllppppppppppppp!!!






All images from here

9 comments:

  1. Great post M! I have struggled with this dilemma as well. In the end, I decided that I wasn't prepared to pay the huge postage charges imposed by the major American retailers. I use a couple of really good Adelaide furniture/homewares stores, and I buy a tonne through Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I didn't even realise West Elm ships to Australia. I thought you'd have to use a parcel forwarding service or something... But anyway... Would you spend $333 on those three items IF they were available in Australia? I know you said they are not, but let's say they were? If yes, I would buy them regardless of the shipping cost :)

    Love the bath mat <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy 1L bottles of Redken shampoos & conditioner from the States all the time. Postage is expensive but it still works out significantly cheaper than buying it in Australia.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's frustrating. But if they are things that you absolutely cannot buy here, are actually made in the US and if you love them enough, then yes, worth the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would definitely consider it if I can't find what I am looking for in Australia. I have actually done it in the past and just recently bought a wintery jacket for my daughter from the UK site after not having any luck finding a suitable jacket in Australia. So if I really like something and it's only available overseas then I will be prepared to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi M. I agree with all the comments made previously. I've used the postal forwarding service MyUs if a company wont sell outside the US. It doesn't save money on cartage just gets it here. I bought a Lego set for $299 + $299pp to get it to my door but here it was selling for $1 000 and was sold out (as in finito!) I was happy, and so will my son on Xmas day!!!! I just bought (made in china!) glass vases that doubled in price due to shipping but I ADORE them and again, they weren't able to be sourced here. (And if they were would probably be more due to retailers add ons) I think the P&P quoted on your example sounds very reasonable; just make sure that what you're buying IS unique, you LOVE it and you don't expect to find it here anytime soon. ;-) x KL

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sound like me, buying before the house! haha I say happy shopping, the USA has amazing products that us Aussies will never see. Go for it, they will be unique and you will love them when they arrive! Have a great day. x Jode

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to agree the the ladies above. Go for it. Buy what you love not because in the long run you'll be happy. Love your selections too BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love some of the stuff in the UK too. If you love it get it...if you are a bit undecided wait a bit seeing as you have a bit of time up your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment and join in the fun. Advice and feedback are always welcome!